Close this search box.

Gibson Cottage

Gibson Cottage was the summer home of the Rt. Rev. Robert Atkinson Gibson, sixth Bishop of the Diocese of Virginia. Bishop Gibson purchased the property called Tanglewood in 1900, and it was a summer gathering place for the Gibson family in the early twentieth century. Bishop Gibson’s son in law, Dr. Edmund Lee Woodward purchased the property in 1919 and built the Cathedral Shrine of the Transfiguration next to the cottage in 1925. This was the beginning of Shrine Mont.

The two story cottage is located “up the hill” in the the western end of Shrine Mont adjacent to the Cathedral Shrine. Gibson was renovated in 2006 and has numerous porches and a sitting room with a fireplace. There are seven bedrooms, each with a private bath.

Download a floor plan of Gibson Cottage.

For more information about Gibson Cottage contact Guest Services.